Finally, finally, finally, I am done with the first draft of my WIP! I have to admit it’s hard to even remember when I started it, but my best guess is that it was a little more than two years ago. That’s a lot longer than I’d like to take to write a draft, but my first book took, well, a lot longer than that. So I can’t complain too much.
In fact, my plan is to not complain at all. As I see it, my timing is great. On Saturday I’m headed to a character workshop taught by the wonderful John Bemis. And on Sunday, I’m headed to a book release party for Joyce Allen, who’s coming out with her second title in her YA fantasy Threads trilogy. What a great way to wrap up the week!
So how am I doing on my other goals? Glad you asked:
- Take a class. As of Saturday, done.
- Finish draft of WIP. Done!
- Go to a conference. This will likely be the annual SCBWI Carolinas fall conference.
- Revise draft.
- Send out queries for WIP.
- Develop characters and plot for new book.
- Write 1,500 words/week. I need to do better. In January, I only averaged 116 words per day — about half of what I’d like.
- Update blog weekly. Doing well there.
So my 2014? Going great so far. I hope yours is too.